MPD is investigating an incident that took place on the 500 block of North Frances Street early Sunday morning.

Food cart employee appears to brandish gun, frightening passersby; MPD investigating

A food cart employee appeared to point a large rifle at another man early Sunday morning in an incident captured on video by an onlooker. The Madison Police Department is investigating the incident.

The disturbance took place at the corner of North Frances Street and State Street at approximately 1:44 a.m. The suspect, a 31-year-old African-American man who police say was a food cart employee, was not immediately located by police, according to a log of recent MPD calls.

MPD has established “tentative identification” of the man who brandished the gun, the log said.

The other person involved in the incident, the man who had the gun pointed at him, was later arrested. Police said that after the initial disturbance, the 29-year-old “went on to batter another party nearby.” He was taken into custody for battery, obstructing, and a warrant.

Police did not say whether they are certain the gun is real. The incident appeared to disturb passersby, some of whom can be heard screaming in the video footage of the altercation.