Conservative group releases ad criticizing Baldwin over tax reform

A national conservative group recently launched a $1.4 million ad campaign in Wisconsin against Democratic U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, who is running for reelection in 2018.

Americans for Prosperity released the campaign Thursday, which urges viewers to contact Baldwin and ask her to support the tax reform plan released by congressional leaders last week.

The ad will run for three weeks on cable and local networks. It says Baldwin is “standing in the way of a simple, fair tax system.” The recently unveiled tax overhaul is sponsored by congressional Republicans, who argue it would help the nation’s middle class.

Baldwin, however, does not support the plan because she says it will benefit the wealthiest Americans rather than the middle class.

Supporters of the GOP plan say Baldwin hasn’t done enough to help improve the tax situation.

“Tammy Baldwin knows full well the tax code is broken but in 16 years in Washington she has done virtually nothing to fix it,” said Eric Bott, the state director of Americans for Prosperity.

Gillian Drummond, a spokeswoman for Baldwin, explained Baldwin’s opposition to a tax plan Thursday, telling the Associated Press that the senator thinks it’s harmful to the middle class and beneficial to the wealthy.

Americans for Prosperity is also running ads against U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo.,and U.S. Sen. Joe Donnelly, D-Ind.,who are also up for reelection in 2018.

The total of the three ad campaigns is $45 million.