Mentos Sam

Mentos Gum challenged incoming freshman Sam Jeschke to distribute 43,000 bottles of gum to the campus community before classes start on Sept. 6.

Mentos challenges freshman to give away 43,000 bottles of gum

If you were at the Badgers’ season opener against Utah State, or you’ve walked past the union, or you saw the truck parked on Library Mall—you’ve probably heard that #SamHasMentosGum.

UW-Madison incoming freshman Sam Jeschke successfully finished distributing 43,000 bottles of Mentos Gum Tuesday night at Camp Randall, completing the challenge before the Sept. 6 deadline.

With the challenge complete, Mentos Gum will pay for one year of Jeschke’ tuition. The gum company will also bring rapper DJ Khaled to campus for a free concert, after Khaled sent a message to UW-Madison’s students at the football game Friday. The concert—exclusive to UW-Madison students—will be held at the Kohl Center at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 30.

Jeschke and UW-Madison’s students are not the only beneficiaries of the #SamHasMentosGum event. The Wisconsin Union will receive money from the deal that will help fund student programming, according to UW-Madison spokesperson Meredith McGlone.

Stephanie Creech, the communications manager for Mentos’ parent company, said the challenge was created to demonstrate that sharing Mentos Gum is a great way create a lasting connection between people. She said UW-Madison was “eager” to host it.

“[Moving to college] is a big time in a freshman’s life, and we are here to prove that Mentos is a great way to help make connections,” Creech said.

Jeschke, who had to fill out an application and go through a series of interviews before becoming the face of the challenge, said things have been hectic since becoming “Mentos Man.”

“At first, I honestly didn’t even understand what was happening, but then I got into it when I learned what it was all about,” Jeschke said. “I have been able to meet so many people from across campus that otherwise I probably wouldn’t have gotten to meet.”

UPDATE Sept. 5, 2017: This article was updated to confirm Jeschke completed Mentos’ challenge.