Heisman watch: Mayfield favorite for Heisman Trophy, Barkley closes gap

1. Baker Mayfield | Sr.| |QB| Oklahoma | Mayfield’s Stock: Neutral

Baker Mayfield showed again last week just why he is considered the front-runner for the Heisman Trophy by leading Oklahoma in a shootout to victory over Baylor. Mayfield threw for 283 yards and three touchdowns on 13-of-19 passing, but for the majority of the night its two-headed running back monster of Abdul Adams and Trey Sermon who combined to run for 212 yards and three touchdowns outshined Mayfield. Mayfield, though, continues to prove why he deserves to be the frontrunner by playing mistake free football and being an excellent leader on and off the field.

Next Game for Mayfield: vs. Iowa State on 10/7

2. Saquon Barkley | Jr.| |RB| Penn State | Barkley’s Stock: Up

We can rename Penn State’s win over Iowa the Saquon Show and confidently say it was his Heisman coming out party. This Swiss Army Man did anything and everything offensively in PSU’s last-second victory. Barkley, ran 28 times for 211 yards and one touchdown, had 94 receiving yards on 12 catches and added 53 yards on three kick returns for 358 all-purpose yards. If Barkley continues to play like he did against Iowa, he will in no time close the gap that is between Mayfield and himself, and in turn create a must watch Heisman race for the rest of the season.

Next Game for Barkley: vs. Indiana on 9/30 at 2:30pm on BTN

3.Mason Rudolph | Sr.| |QB| Oklahoma State | Rudolph’s Stock: Down

It turned out to be a long and frustrating day for the Oklahoma State quarterback as he was under pressure and unable to get comfortable in the pocket all day due to TCU’s unrelenting pressure. This was evident throughout the first half, as he had only thrown for 136 yards and a touchdown on 6-of-14 passing. Without the 85-yard touchdown pass to James Washington, his numbers might’ve looked a lot different. Rudolph on the day threw for 398 yards and two touchdowns on 22-of-41 passing and also ran for a touchdown. Rudolph turned the ball over three times on the day with two interceptions and fumbled once ultimately contributing to the loss today against TCU.

Next Game for Rudolph: @ Texas Tech on 9/30 at 7pm on Fox

4. Sam Darnold | Soph.| |QB| USC | Darnold’s Stock: Up

It was a tale of two halves for the USC quarterback. Under heavy pressure from California’s front seven throughout the first half, Darnold was, for the most part, cool and calm under pressure, throwing for 157 yards and a touchdown on 16-of-24 passing and just one interception. In the second half he turned into a game manager by throwing for just 66 yards on 10-of-14 passing and a second touchdown. All in all, Darnold was far from spectacular but played well enough to win. His 223 yards, with two touchdowns and one interception on 26-of-38 passing, is pedestrian by his standards but was good enough to give USC a hard fought victory against Cal.

Next Game for Darnold: @ Washington State on 9/29 at 9:30pm on ESPN

5. Lamar Jackson | Jr.| | QB| Louisville | Jackson’s Stock: Down

It’s incredible what a week does. Two Saturdays ago, Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson was under pressure throughout the entirety of the game by the Clemson defense, leading him to only complete 50 percent of his passes. But against Kent State last week, Jackson looked more like his Heisman-winning self. Jackson threw for 299 yards and two touchdowns on 18-of-22 passing while also adding a rushing touchdown. But he was far from perfect, as Jackson did throw two interceptions and played only three quarters, leading the Cardinals to an easy victory over an overmatched Kent State team.

Next Game for Jackson: vs. Murray State on 9/30 at 2:30pm on ACCN