Apple to pay WARF $506 million for patent infringement

U.S. District Judge William Conley ordered Apple Inc. to pay the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation $506 million for patent infringement.

Apple has been ordered to pay the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation $506 million, an increase from the original amount of $234 million, after a Madison federal judge ruled that the technology company infringed on WARF patents for devices used in their iPhone products.

U.S. District Judge William Conley initially ordered the technology company to pay WARF $234 million, which was granted by a jury in October 2015. WARF sued Apple in 2014 for infringing on patents for technology developed at UW-Madison. This technology was used in Apple’s iPhone 6, 6S, 7 and other products, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

The $234 million was was tagged onto the amount Apple owes WARF for royalties. Conley instructed the two entities to discuss the amount Apple would pay to go toward royalties, and the conclusion was Apple would pay $2.74 per infringing unit from Oct. 27, 2015 until the expiration of WARF’s patent in December 2016. This is also in addition to the supplemental damages charge—$1.61 per infringing unit sold through Oct. 26, 2015, as well as other costs, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

Apple has indicated they will appeal the jury's findings to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, according to WARF Director of Strategic Communications Jeanan Yasiri Moe. Conley has previously refused Apple a new trial in the case.

“WARF will continue to defend the work of the university researchers and WARF’s patent in this case should Apple, Inc. file an appeal,” Moe said in an email.

Moe said WARF will not comment further on litigation until the matter is fully reviewed and resolved in court.