Alumni Park—a 1.3 acre park located between Memorial Union and the Red Gym—is set to open to the public Oct. 6.

Park honoring alumni to open on Lake Mendota

UW-Madison students and community members will soon be able to enjoy a new park overlooking Lake Mendota.

Alumni Park—a 1.3 acre park located between Memorial Union and the Red Gym—is set to open to the public Oct. 6. The park, which will be developed and managed by the Wisconsin Foundation and the Alumni Association in partnership with UW-Madison, will honor more than 120 alumni with over 50 art exhibits, according to a statement by the Wisconsin Alumni Association.

The exhibits will be featured on open green spaces in the park, on the walkways and in gardens surrounded by native plants and trees. The art will educate visitors about alumni achievements, as well as UW-Madison innovations and traditions, according to the statement.

“We are looking forward to the opening of this beautiful addition to the campus waterfront,” UW-Madison spokesperson Meredith McGlone said in a statement. “It’s sure to be the start of many new Badger traditions.”

Funds for the park were generated through private donations from alumni and others affiliated with the university.