Got scammed on your WiscMail address? Here’s what you should do

Did you get a mysterious email inviting you to open a Google Doc some time in the last few days? Chances are, you were scammed.

A well-crafted “phishing” scam has been fooling people all over the internet, and UW-Madison students are no exception. The university has confirmed that the scam has been appearing in WiscMail inboxes.

UW-Madison’s Division of Information Technology has a clear message for students: Don’t open that fake Google Doc.

“It’s happened to a lot of K-12 and higher ed institutions,” Mary Evansen, communications manager at DoIT, said. “Just delete it, ignore it, that’s our best advice.”

But what if you already opened it and accepted the permissions changes? According to DoIT, students should visit this link to undo the changes and can also report any “phishing” attempts to abuse@wisc.edu.

DoIT says it is working to combat the scam by blocking a list of names related to the email and collaborating with Google Apps and WiscMail teams to stop the threat.

The university will not send out a campus-wide email to students, Evansen said, but information is on DoIT’s website and social media pages.