UW-Madison Police Department Chief Kristen Roman formally accepted her title at a swear-in ceremony Wednesday.

UWPD formally swears to protect campus

After 25 years with the UW-Madison Police Department, Chief Susan Riseling formally handed the force over to the new chief, Kristen Roman, at her swear-in ceremony Wednesday.

Roman began her duties as chief three weeks ago, but officially accepted her title at the public event.

“We’re really excited to have her on board and I think that she’s going to do really good things for the [department],” UWPD Director of Communications Marc Lovicott said.

Throughout her previous 26 years of experience as a captain at the Madison Police Department, Roman has led a range of initiatives. Riseling said in her speech that these have given the new chief the skills to be the right candidate to run the department.

Roman stated in her acceptance speech that she has a vision to reach higher and expand the current “RICH” principle that the department works under: respect, integrity, compassion and honor, according to Lovicott.

“I can tell you that this vision I shared isn’t out of reach, because I am not inheriting an organization that needs fixing,” Roman said. “I am inheriting a department that has thrived under excellent leadership; a department that has carved out a national reputation consistent with the Wisconsin ideal, and a department that has some of the most capable and dedicated people with whom I’ve had the privilege to work with.”

Roman addressed recent issues students have voiced involving whether or not the campus police would protect undocumented students.

“We’re not changing anything policy-wise as a department when it comes to undocumented students and working with immigration officials. In the past we’ve never requested documentations from individuals,” Lovicott said.

He said Roman’s priorities as the official UWPD chief include combating challenges such as sexual assault, drinking and the whole campus climate in general.