No. 1 Badgers win streak snapped in shootout loss to Minnesota

For the second straight game, 65 minutes was not enough time to decide a winner between top-ranked Wisconsin and No. 4 Minnesota. And again it was the defense and the goalies who shined.

The Badgers (22-2-4 WCHA, 27-2-4 overall) tied the Gophers (19-4-5, 23-5-5) 0-0, but lost the three-round shootout 1-0 Sunday afternoon.

"It's tough to score in a lot of facets of hockey," head coach Mark Johnson told UWBadgers.com "It's tough some nights to get the puck to the net, and goalies are so well-trained, so it's a challenge. So when you do get an opportunity you certainly want to make the most of them.

"We saw two good games this weekend, they were entertaining, great crowds, good atmosphere and I think both teams will be well prepared for next weekend."

The Gophers came out firing in the first period, peppering Badger goalie Ann-Reneé Desbiens with 17 shots, but were unable to sneak anything past the All-American. UW was only able to muster six shots against Minnesota goalie Sidney Peters.

In the second period, it was UW who came out aggressively, but, like Minnesota, were unable to capitalize. Peters made 20 saves in the period for the Gophers.

Neither team was able to figure out the other’s goalie in regulation or in overtime and the game went to a shootout.

Peters and Desbiens held strong through the opening two rounds of the shootout. The Gophers’ Lee Stecklein finally beat Desbiens to give Minnesota a 1-0 lead. Needing a score to extend the shootout, Badger captain Sydney McKibbon was denied by Peters and the Gophers took home the extra point.

Both goalies were outstanding, as Desbiens had 35 saves and Peters denied 38 shots.

"I think today went pretty well," Desbiens told UWBadgers.com. "Both teams are known for their offensive power, so it's kind of weird to have a defensive weekend with not that many goals scored. I'm definitely happy with how we did and how we got better every period this game."

The Badgers host Minnesota State at LaBahn Arena in the opening round of the WCHA playoff Feb. 24-26.

“It's a long regular season and obviously we did a lot of wonderful things, but now you've got to mentally switch and get into playoff-mode because you're only guaranteed next weekend,” Johnson said. “But it'll be good, I'm excited. When I looked at my schedule, having Minnesota-Duluth and Minnesota back-to-back, those games help you get ready for the playoffs."