Camp_Randall_W_icon126685
A W crest emblem is seen on the Field House from inside of Camp Randall Stadium at the University of Wisconsin-Madison on Oct. 6, 2012. (Photo by Bryce Richter / UW-Madison)

UW-Madison student reported missing after plane crash

A UW-Madison freshman has been reported missing and is feared to be dead after the plane she was on crashed in Lake Erie Dec. 29.

Megan Casey, 19, was traveling home on a private, two-engine plane following a Cleveland Cavaliers basketball game, according to a UW-Madison news release. The U.S. Coast Guard is searching for the plane, which is suspected to have crashed shortly after takeoff.

Casey, from Powell, Ohio, lived in University Housing while attending UW-Madison. She was a member of the UW-Madison chapter of the Delta Gamma sorority.

Her father, Brian Casey, was also on the plane, along with four of their neighbors. Their family released a statement and labeled them as “loving individuals,” according to the UW-Madison news release. Dean of Students Lori Berquam also commented on Casey.

“In the short time she was on our campus, Megan was a friend to many and was pursuing a career in nursing,” Berquam said. “Our thoughts are with her family and friends.”

UW-Madison Delta Gamma President Jillian Parks posted a statement on the sorority's Facebook page. She spoke of Casey's dedication to school and extracurricular activities and sent condolences to her family and friends.

"As a newly initiated member to our chapter, Megan fully represented what it means to be a Delta Gamma and 'Do Good,'" Parks said in the statement. "Her kind and friendly demeanor was valued and cherished. Omega is truly honored to have Megan as a sister."

University Health Services will offer counseling and crisis support for individuals affected by the incident.

UPDATE Jan. 2, 9:51 p.m.: This story was updated to include an additional comment.