Sales from licensed merchandise earned UW-Madison more than $4.4 million in royalties during a record-breaking year.

Record merchandise sales go to financial aid, athletics

UW-Madison received more than $4.4 million from royalties made off the sale of licensed merchandise in the 2015-’16 fiscal year, exceeding the university’s previous high mark by $561,000.

UW-Madison spokesperson Meredith McGlone said the university has transferred nearly $4 million of the funds to the Athletic Department and the Student Financial Aid Office to support Bucky Grants, a program designed to provide need-based financial aid to undergraduate students.

UW-Madison ranked 12th among nearly 200 schools licensed through the Collegiate Licensing Company, and third in the Big Ten, after the University of Michigan and Michigan State University.

Trademark Licensing Director Cindy Van Matre attributed the success to strong football and men’s basketball seasons, along with well-managed programs and an increase in the royalty rate the school charges.

UPDATE Jan. 5, 5:36 p.m. This story was updated to correct the dollar amount transferred by the university as reported by a UW-Madison spokesperson.