Aggravated battery reported near campus

Madison Police Department responded to an act of aggravated battery Friday that occurred at the intersection of University Avenue and Hawthorne Court near the UW-Madison campus.

Around 1:30 a.m., three unidentifiable men knocked a 19-year-old male Madison resident, who was reportedly a student at Madison Area Technical College, unconscious by continuously kicking and punching him, according to an MPD incident report. He suffered severe facial injuries and did not immediately remember the assault.

Passersby said his head bounced off the pavement, according to the release. Another individual intervened in the attack and the assailants fled as police arrived at the scene. MPD Public Information Officer Joel Despain said the victim was conversing with officers at the hospital, but suffered a broken nose and significant injury to the right eye.

Despain said MPD is investigating the attack. They have interviewed witnesses in the area and will be examining surveillance footage to identify the assailants.

UW-Madison Police Department issued a campus-wide crime warning Monday encouraging students to be safe and conscious of their surroundings, especially at night.

UPDATE Jan. 10, 9:10 a.m. This story was updated to include further information from MPD.