UW-Madison Professor Emeritus Jack Fowler died Dec. 1 at the age of 91. He taught human oncology and medical physics at the university for 12 years.

Former UW-Madison professor Jack Fowler dies at age 91

John Francis “Jack” Fowler, professor emeritus of human oncology and medical physics at the UW-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health, died Dec. 1 at the age of 91. He taught at UW-Madison from 1988 to 1994 and again from 1999 to 2003.

During his time at the university he worked primarily in brachytherapy, a treatment where radioactive seeds are inserted into a tumor, allowing them to work from the inside out and not inflict great damage on surrounding areas. His work made the university a leader in the study of brachytherapy.

As a teacher, Fowler encouraged his students to experience the world and perform experiments, which he was more than willing to help with, according to a UW-Madison news release.

Throughout Fowler’s career, he published more than 500 peer-reviewed papers, presented hundreds of lectures and received many awards in the field of oncology.