Finalists chosen for UWPD police chief position

Four finalists have been selected for the position of UW-Madison Police Department chief of police.

The finalists include UW-Milwaukee Police Department Assistant Chief of Police Gregory Habeck, Northern Illinois University Chief of Police Thomas Phillips, Madison Police Department Captain Kristen Roman and University of Washington Police Department Chief of Police John Vinson.

Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs Ray Taffora is chair of the selection committee, which is comprised of 13 individuals connected to UW-Madison.

“We've got a strong committee of students, staff, faculty and community members leading this search and they've identified four very capable finalists,” said UW-Madison spokesperson Meredith McGlone. “So we're pleased with the progress so far.”

According to Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration Laurent Heller, each candidate will present to the public before a selection is made.

The chosen officer will replace UWPD Interim Chief Brian Bridges, who succeeded Chief Susan Riseling who retired earlier this year.

The dates of the candidates' presentations and selection will be released once they are scheduled.