Protests have erupted in Madison and around the country after Donald Trump's presidential victory.

Election results should be respected

Ever since election night, Democrats in our country have been in uproar. Protests have erupted across the nation, with people denouncing Donald Trump’s message loud and clear. The hashtag #NotMyPresident has gone viral and social media has become a place of hate between people with differing political opinions. Our country seems more divided than ever. 

Many young Democrats and other protesters claim that their hostile reaction to Trump’s win is justified, especially considering the flak that Barack Obama has received from Republicans over the last eight years. 

Throughout Obama’s two terms, the GOP caused absolute mayhem in Washington, even leading to a government shutdown of 16 days. Whether it be filibustering Obama’s nominations to office or passing a record-low number of bills during a session of Congress, Republicans did not resolve their differences with Obama’s policy in a manner that was constructive for our country.

But do two wrongs make a right?

Democrats are spewing caustic hate toward the supporters of  Trump right now, and that is completely unjustified. A man in Chicago was brutally beaten by an angry mob because they suspected he was a Trump supporter. Whether or not someone agrees with you politically, it is unacceptable to let your anger get to the point that it results in violence.

Social media has also become a place where Democrats are blaming all Republicans for being sexist, racist and more. However, not all Republicans support all parts of Trump’s message. 

There was more than just the Presidency riding on this election; the future of the Supreme Court was also in the hands of the election. Many conservatives swallowed their pride and voted for Trump in order to ensure that the Supreme Court would keep a conservative influence. 

Voting is the basic right of Americans. In an election as contentious and important as this one, there is bound to be unrest and controversy between sides. However, nobody should be persecuted for exercising their right to vote, regardless of who they voted for. As Michelle Obama famously said in her speech at July’s Democratic National Convention, “When they go low, we go high.” 

It is so easy to let the anger and fear get in the way, but that cannot happen. I am not against peaceful protest, nor am I promoting standing idly by. There are many platforms within the Trump campaign that are socially appalling and that need to be protested against. However, it is beyond hypocritical to justify protests and hostility on the actions of Republicans over Obama’s term in office. Instead of letting our country continue to be a place of political gridlock, we should all work together to find a solution that works for everyone. 

Samantha is a sophomore majoring in journalism and communication arts. Please send all comments, questions and concerns to opinion@dailycardinal.com.