UW-Madison student Alec Shiva was booked in the Dane County Jail Thursday for second-degree sexual assault and other charges that reportedly occurred in a UW-Madison residence hall.

Alec Shiva released from jail on signature bond

Suspended UW-Madison freshman Alec Shiva was released from the Dane County Jail on a signature bond Monday.

Shiva was arrested Thursday after a female student reported that he sexually assaulted her in his Sellery Residence Hall room.

Court Commissioner Jason Hanson ordered the bail under the condition that Shiva report to the Dane County Bail Monitoring Program.

According to a Wisconsin State Journal article, Shiva was high on LSD at the time of the attack. The victim told UW-Madison Police Department that he choked her during the alleged assault and locked his door to prevent her from leaving. His roommate questioned him after seeing the victim in distress, and Shiva became confrontational. Shiva broke several university-owned items, including the mirror in his room.

Shiva is banned from UW-Madison. He was placed on emergency suspension Thursday, but must agree to these terms in order for the suspension to last longer than 30 days.