Yoga workshop creates safe space for students in recovery

In an effort to create a safe space for students recovering from substance misuse disorders and addictive behaviors, the Live Free student organization hosted a yoga workshop Wednesday evening.

The workshop, held in the Student Activity Center, was the first of the organization’s October Wellness Initiative Series. These events are organized to provide an uplifting environment for individuals in the recovery process.

Live Free has many other upcoming events planned, including weekly friends and family meetings, weekly recovery meetings as well as wellness initiatives on the first Wednesday of every month. The organization is also in the process of planning several community events, as well as preparing to host a film festival from Oct. 20-22. The festival will focus on films based on recovery and substance-related topics.

On top of the numerous events being held this semester, member Megan Dix reassured students whose lives are affected by addiction that Live Free is here for them.

“We want to be an open space for dialogue about substance abuse on and around campus,” Dix said. “[We want to] create a safe environment that people can come to when they need it.”