UWPD breaks ground on expansion project

Members of UW-Madison Police Department and JP Cullen contractors dug their ceremonial shovels Wednesday afternoon to expand their headquarters.

This project, located in Lot 16, which is behind and next to the current UWPD headquarters, will provide UWPD with valuable office space, much needed room for training, secure garage space and shelled space for future expansion. The garage will be on the first floor with the offices and training areas above and behind it.

The project will cost $4.8 million and span 24,000 square feet. It is expected to be completed by fall 2017. This is the third attempt to expand the offices that have been occupied for 27 years. Currently, UWPD has three different on-campus buildings, primarily due to expanded duties following 9/11.

“Work is difficult to complete when you’re working in different buildings,” said Interim Police Chief Brian Bridges. “Right now we have up to three people sharing office space.”

An added feature that will help with the transportation of detainees is the sally port, a secure area that allows UWPD to move detainees from their vehicles to the inside of the building.

UWPD spokesperson Marc Lovicott said although the department has lost parking spaces, they are excited for the new addition.

Bridges mentioned that a running joke in the UWPD office for 30 years has been, “Everything will be better in the new building.” Now, it looks like they’ll have to find a new joke to tell.