UW System to ring in new year with more thorough hiring process

This is the first time Board of Regents have updated their policy, which mandated sexual assault and harassment training for all students and employees, since 2016. 

UW leaders call for end to tuition freeze after 2017-'18 year

In-state students at UW System schools would see a modest tuition increase during the 2018-’19 school year after the tuition freeze concludes, if a proposal by system officials is approved by the legislature in the upcoming biennial budget.

The proposal, which will be presented to the Board of Regents at its Friday meeting, details a request for a one-year extension of the tuition freeze and then a slight increase tied to cost-of-living metrics for the following school year.

Wisconsin students have had their tuition frozen since 2013, something that the proposal acknowledges has saved students money “in the immediate term.”

“The UW System continues to be one of the most affordable options for students relative to peers,” the proposal states. “Tuition is only one component of that affordability.”

Coupled with the lowest amount of state support for the system in history when adjusted for inflation, officials argued the freeze has allowed for increased class sizes, fewer classes and additional potential harm to the student experience.

The proposal also addresses options for affordability through improved financial aid measures, noting that the average amount for a major grant for Wisconsin students has decreased by nearly $400, reflecting an increase in the number of students needing financial aid. The regents suggested an increase in state funding for financial aid in June.

Gov. Scott Walker has also requested the tuition freeze remain in place for the upcoming school year. A spokesperson from his office did not respond to a request for comment on the system’s proposal.

At the Friday meeting, the regents will look to approve the proposal and make clear system leaders’ case for more affordable education for students, as well as garnering understanding for the small tuition increase after the freeze caps.

“Ultimately, a high-quality education can only be delivered in a timely manner if tuition keeps pace with the cost of living,” the proposal says.