UHS to offer free vaccination for meningococcal disease B

University Health Services will be offering free vaccinations for meningococcal disease B beginning Thursday, Oct. 20.

The clinic, which will be held in the Southeast Recreational Facility, is open to undergraduate students. It will offer the first dose of the vaccine for five days. The second dose will be available in the UHS office one month after receiving the first dose.

UHS is working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state officials to recommend that all students receive the vaccination in light of the recent cases. This is in response to two UW-Madison students who were recently diagnosed with meningococcal disease B.

“We’re taking the situation very seriously,” UHS Director of Marketing and Health Communications Marlena Holden said. “Fortunately, both students who were diagnosed are recovering, but we know that it is serious and very few people in the campus community are vaccinated against B … we strongly encourage students to take advantage of this.”

Meningococcal disease is transmitted through oral and nasal secretions of an infected person. It is not transmitted through the air, water or other methods. Symptoms of the disease include high fever, stiffness, headache and confusion.

More information on the free vaccination clinics will be available on Monday, Oct. 17.

UPDATE Oct. 16, 4:45 p.m. This story was updated to include a quote from University Health Services staff.