The U.S. Supreme Court voted Monday to end a John Doe investigation into Gov. Scott Walker’s campaign activities.

U.S. Supreme Court rules to end John Doe probe

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled Monday to end the controversy surrounding the John Doe saga, opting not to hear a legal challenge to extend the investigation of Gov. Scott Walker’s campaign.

The high court denied the petition for writ of certiorari in Chisholm v. Two Unnamed Petitioners. This decision to reject the appeal to further investigate Walker’s 2012 recall election means that after four years of contention, the case is finally closed.

The case called for the U.S. Supreme Court to look into an appeal of the Wisconsin Supreme Court’s decision to disregard an investigation into possible illegal campaign coordination between Walker’s recall election campaign and special interest groups.

As a result, the previous state ruling terminating the investigation now stands. Throughout the four years this case has moved through various levels of courts, it has stirred political opposition from both sides. The decision from the Supreme Court today brought mixed reactions.

“Although I am disappointed the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear this appeal, it is more important than ever to ensure the potential corruption revealed by the documents leaked by The Guardian is thoroughly investigated here at home,” state Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, said in a statement, referring to the reports and correspondences that were at issue in the John Doe case.

Walker and his supporters expressed their approval of the Supreme Court’s decision.

"The United States Supreme Court, the Wisconsin Supreme Court and multiple judges have all reached the same conclusion with every ruling — that this investigation by prosecutors was without merit and thus must be ended," Walker said in a statement.

The prosecution now has 30 days to sort through and file the evidence gathered. All documents in the case will be indexed and sealed.