House Speaker Paul Ryan announced Monday he will not continue to defend Republican nominee Donald Trump.

Ryan says he will no longer defend Trump but doesn’t pull endorsement

In a blow to Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s campaign, House Speaker Paul Ryan announced Monday he would no longer defend or campaign for Trump.

Ryan’s controversial decision follows Friday’s release of a 2005 recording of Trump making vulgar comments about women. The recording spurred backlash not only from supporters of Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, but also members of Trump’s own party.

After canceling his appearance to campaign with Trump in Wisconsin on Saturday, Ryan made clear he disapproved of Trump’s words in 2005.

“I am sickened by what I heard today,” Ryan said in a statement regarding the issue.

In a conference call Monday morning, Ryan and other GOP congressional leaders discussed the current state of the presidential race. During this call, several GOP lawmakers called out Ryan for his decision to distance himself from their party’s nominee so close to election day.

“He got huge pushback like I’ve never seen before from members from across the country just saying that was the wrong move — and even if it cost them the House,” one lawmaker said in a Washington Post article.

After much contention, Ryan assured the other GOP leaders on the call that he is not rescinding his endorsement of Trump as the nominee. Regardless of Ryan’s reassurance, lawmakers still fear Ryan’s half-hearted support will destroy Trump’s chance at a victory. During the call, some expressed fear that if Ryan was not “wholly supportive,” it was equivalent to him backing out entirely.

While Trump apologized for the 2005 recording, saying he regretted his actions and that they are not reflective of who he is, other members of the GOP party have expressed criticism alongside Ryan.

“Inexcusable. Trump’s comments are inexcusable,” Gov. Scott Walker tweeted Friday.

With only one debate remaining before the Nov. 8 election, both candidates remain on the campaign trail in an effort to win over undecided voters. A NBC/Wall Street Journal poll released Monday showed Clinton with an 11-point lead over Trump nationally.