Clinton maintains lead in new Monmouth poll

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton is holding on to a lead over Republican Donald Trump in Wisconsin, according to a Monmouth University poll of the state released Wednesday.

Forty-seven percent of those surveyed say they will back Clinton, with 40 percent supporting Trump. Third party candidates garnered less support, with Libertarian Gary Johnson checking in at 7 percent and Green Party candidate Jill Stein at 1 percent.

"Clinton has been holding on in Wisconsin," Patrick Murray, director of Monmouth University Polling Institute, said.

Democrats also got good news in the form of an eight-point lead for Russ Feingold, who is battling Republican incumbent Ron Johnson in the fight for Wisconsin’s U.S. Senate seat.

"The race has narrowed but, Feingold remains well placed to return to the Senate barring any major shakeup in this race," said Murray.

A poll released Tuesday by St. Norbert College showed Feingold with an even larger lead of 12 percent. Data last week showed the race tightening, with the gap between the candidates within the margin of error.

The poll also surveyed Wisconsinites about whether House Speaker Paul Ryan has been too critical of Trump, following allegations that the business mogul sexually assaulted multiple women.

One third of voters said they thought Ryan was not supportive enough of Trump, who also suffered fallout from a controversial 2005 video that showed him making lewd comments about women. Thirty-nine percent said the dispute has made them think less of the Janesville native.