T.J. Watt

T.J. Watt and the Badger defense shut down a potent Michigan State offense to pull of the upset. 

Watt shines against Spartans, continues to blossom into next defensive superstar for UW

Heading into their conference opener against No. 8 Michigan State in East Lansing, the Badgers faced two crucial questions that would play deciding roles in the game.

Would their vaunted defense hold up against a Spartan offense that had totaled 501 yards and scored 36 points on Notre Dame? Could Alex Hornibrook handle the pressure of a Big Ten road game in the first start of his college career?

Although Hornibrook, who went 16 of 26 for 195 yards with one touchdown and one interception, has garnered much of the attention, it was the defense’s dominant performance that keyed the Badgers to their first conference win.

After allowing 17 points to Georgia State, Wisconsin’s defense responded emphatically against the Spartans. The Badgers forced a season-high, four turnovers, and with safety Leo Musso’s 66-yard fumble return touchdown in the third quarter, the defense scored as many points as Michigan State’s offense.

The linebacking corps had been the biggest strength of the defense throughout the season, and they showed that importance again on Saturday. Led by redshirt junior T.J. Watt’s 2.5 sacks, the Badgers pressured Michigan State’s Tyler O’Connor throughout the game and forced off-balance throws that resulted in three interceptions.

Watt, in particular, seemed to improve as the game progressed, accruing all of his sacks in the second half, and preventing the Spartans from cutting into the lead.

But for as well as they defended the pass, it was their performance against the run that allowed the Badgers to dominate a favored opponent on the road. Apart from a 19-yard run on the first play of the game, they held Michigan State’s feature back L.J. Scott to only 42 yards on 13 carries, and limited the Spartans to 75 yards on 27 carries overall.

Here again it was Watt who led the defense, consistently occupying multiple blockers and penetrating into the backfield to disrupt plays even when he did not record a tackle.

Facing yet another top-10 opponent on the road next week, the Badgers will need Watt and the rest of the defense to continue their high-level of play. The Michigan offense has rushed for more than 900 yards and 15 touchdowns in their first four games, so Wisconsin must be at its highest level.