UW-Madison sophomore Skylar Witte won the title of Miss Wisconsin USA 2017 earlier this month and plans to visit middle schools and inspire students during her reign.

UW-Madison sophomore crowned Miss Wisconsin

UW-Madison sophomore Skylar Witte was crowned Miss Wisconsin USA 2017 earlier this month after competing against 41 other women for the title.

Witte balances her job as Miss Wisconsin USA along with her academics?she is double majoring in political science and communication arts with plans to go to law school?as well as a full-time modeling career and writing for her blog. 

Since she won Miss Wisconsin USA 10 days ago, Witte has travelled to various Wisconsin cities, including her hometown, Altoona. She plans to visit middle schools around the state during her term and serve as a role model for the students.

“Middle school is the most vulnerable age,” Witte said. “I’m excited to talk to them about the fact that there will be people trying to stand in their way but it’s about what you want to do and how you choose to live your life.” 

Witte won first runner-up in the Miss Wisconsin Teen USA in 2016, which she says made her realize she wanted to pursue her Miss USA dreams. She will compete in the Miss USA 2017 pageant, the date and location of which is to be determined. She said she is going to enjoy every day of being Miss Wisconsin USA, but is also preparing to walk across the Miss USA stage. 

“I think every part of my life is kind of practicing,” Witte said. “Being interviewed and interacting with other people is getting me ready for Miss USA. But it’s really all about being you. Every aspect of competition is about giving the judges the essence of who you are. It’s so important to just be confident in yourself.”

Witte said she is most excited to represent the state of Wisconsin and her fellow Miss Wisconsin USA contestants throughout this year. She also wants to fight the negative stigma toward pageants that she said she has experienced often in her past. 

“I think there’s a lot of misconceptions in pageantry,” Witte said. “People see what’s on TV which isn’t always accurate. I’m hoping I can meet a lot of people in this state and be a positive embassador for pageants because they have done so much for me.”