Theresa Duello, an associate professor and researcher at UW-Madison, has sent out a survey to university faculty to assess how they have dealt with budget cuts.

UW-Madison researcher to collect faculty findings on impact of budget cuts

After legislators dealt the UW System roughly $250 million in funding cuts during the state’s last biennial budget, along with a continued tuition freeze, it seemed too soon to tell how those cuts would affect each of the approximately 40,000 faculty and academic staff throughout the system.

At UW-Madison, however, associate professor and researcher Theresa Duello launched an online poll for university faculty and staff members to describe their unique experiences in dealing with the cuts.

The poll asks faculty and academic staff to name their campus and list five ways the budget cuts have directly impacted them, as well as five ways the cuts have had an indirect impact.

Duello told the Capital Times that she received 200 responses in the first 36 hours after releasing the poll, and she will look at the responses again in a few weeks.

She also said she hopes to launch a similar survey for students in October to assess their feelings about the funding cuts.