UW-Madison receives top-10 ranking for public universities

UW-Madison has been ranked 10th among public colleges by U.S. News and World Report, which released its latest rankings for 2017 Best Colleges.

The university is in a four-way tie for 10th place, sharing its rank with two University of California schools and the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign. The ranking is bumped up from last year’s list, where UW-Madison took 11th among public institutions.

Criteria used to evaluate the hundreds of universities in the ranking include retention and graduation rates, academic reputation, financial resources, faculty resources and student selectivity, according to a university release.

UW-Madison placed 44th overall, down from last year when it was ranked 41st.

The university also scored highly in the area of “A Strong Commitment to Undergraduate Teaching,” a list that it has not previously been included on, and programs within the Wisconsin School of Business received high rankings as well.

The school’s College of Engineering also performed well, ranking 14th overall and seventh among public doctoral institutions.

UW-Madison Provost Sarah Mangelsdorf said the school provides a quality educational experience for each student.

“While rankings are only one measure of a university’s performance, we realize many students and families pay close attention to them in helping make decisions about college,” Mangelsdorf said.