UW-Madison challenge encourages students to build world-improving technologies

UW-Madison faculty and students introduced the upcoming Wisconsin Energy and Sustainability Challenge Thursday.

Competitors will work in teams to create projects aiming to either improve the environment or aid developing countries. Applications open Sept. 27, and the organization encourages students of all majors to get involved.

According to Research and Education Coordinator at the Wisconsin Energy Institute Scott Williams, this challenge gives students a chance to be innovative while improving areas in the world.

In last year’s challenge, UW-Madison students created a micro-grid for areas in Africa that lack electricity. People in the affected areas used solar-charged batteries for simple tasks like powering a lamp. These students won the Cleantech University $50,000 grand prize. The two other awards, the Global Stewards Sustainability Prize and Dvork Energy Prize, offer $5,000 to the first-place winners and $1,500 to the second-place winners.

Williams, who has been involved with the challenge since 2009, emphasizes the importance of the environment. He said this challenge is an outlet for students to create technology to help solve environmental issues.

“This challenge gives students the power to create something that they can see happening,” Williams said.

Williams said participants will benefit in many ways besides the monetary prize.

“You have the opportunity to meet people and attain possible job opportunities,” Williams said. “It’s all about connecting.”