Rafael Gaglianone

Rafael Gaglianone is out for the season after having back surgery. 

Specialists: Gaglianone hopes to return to freshman-year form

Coming out of camp true freshman Anthony Lotti won the starting punter competition over redshirt sophomore P.J. Rosowski. Lotti, a two-time, first team all-state selection by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, came to Wisconsin as a three-star recruit replacing senior Drew Meyer, the Badgers’ kicker last season. On 49 punts in high school last season, Lotti averaged 45.4 yards per punt, including 19 punts inside the 20-yard line and 15 punts of 50-plus yards.

Rafael Gaglianone will switch numbers this season to commemorate Nebraska punter Sam Foltz, who was killed in a car crash in mid-July. The Brazilian-born kicker converted 14 consecutive field goal attempts to end his freshman season, matching Vitaly Pisetsky for longest streak in school history. Last season though, Gaglianone regressed, making a mere 66.67 percent of his kicks. In his prior two years in Madison, Gaglianone seldom performed kickoffs. That will continue this year: Rosowski will perform as the kickoff specialist.

To begin the season junior Natrell Jamerson will again be the Badgers’ kick returner while Jazz Peavy will take over the punt return duties for the Badgers due to Alex Erickson’s departure to the NFL.