Rose Lavelle

Rose Lavelle and the Badgers earned a spot in the NCAA Tournament despite losing to Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament.

Lavelle, nation's No. 1 player, leads young Badgers in rebuild mode

The defending Big Ten Champion Wisconsin Badgers (1-2-3) are primed for another successful season, despite their relative youth. Although they have won only one game, the outlook for the season is bright.

Having the No. 1 player in the country, senior Rose Lavelle, is a huge boost for head coach Paula Wilkins, who is in rebuilding mode after losing six seniors, all starters, to graduation. Lavelle, who has played with the U.S. Women’s National Team, leads the team in shots and shots on goal through six games. Last season, Lavelle led the team with seven goals and three assists.

Also returning for the Badgers is junior goaltender Caitlyn Clem, who has been stellar so far making 22 saves to this point. The native of Okemos, Mich., started all 20 matches in goal last year and at one point in the season held a six-game shutout streak.

Junior midfielder Alexis Tye is back with a vengeance after missing the entirety of last season with an injury. She has already proven that not playing for a whole season hasn’t slowed her down, as she has started all six games and recorded four shots on goal.

There are also plenty of new faces for Wisconsin, as Wilkins welcomed a large 11-member freshman class this summer. Dani Rhodes, Allie Winterfield and Camryn Biegalski lead this group.

Rhodes, a two-time high school All-American, leads the newcomers in goals, shots and shots on goal so far. The forward has started five out of the six games she has played in, and has played a significant role on the team from the minute she stepped foot on campus. Winterfield, a midfielder, has started in all six games and has tallied six shots to start the season. Biegalski is an aggressive defender who has started all five games she has played in, and has stepped up in crucial moments.

Schedule wise, the Badgers look to have a few challenges throughout the remainder of the season, as three of their Big Ten opponents (Ohio State, Minnesota and Penn State) are currently ranked within the top 25. Although they have had a slow start, it is important to remember that Wisconsin’s only losses have come to teams that are currently in the Top 25: No. 1 Stanford and No. 25 Notre Dame.