Matt Hutchins will trade in his red and white swim cap for a black and blue one when he represents New Zealand in Rio.

Several former and current Badgers headed to Rio Olympics

Every four years, the University of Wisconsin becomes known for producing Olympians in a multitude of sports, and this year is no different. There will be 10 current or former UW athletes representing four different countries in five different sports in Rio de Janeiro coming August.

The Badgers have their first two swimming Olympians since 2004 in Matt Hutchins and Cierra Runge. Hutchins, a senior who is perhaps the most decorated male swimmer in recent UW history, represents New Zealand in international competition and will swim the 400-meter freestyle in Rio.

Runge is a redshirt sophomore who will start competing for the Badgers this fall after a year at California. She will represent the U.S. on the 4x200-meter freestyle relay after placing fifth in the 200-meter freestyle at Olympic Trials earlier this month.

In the triathlon, Gwen Jorgensen, a 2009 graduate and member of the swimming, cross-country and track teams while at UW, rose to the top and became the most dominant athlete in her sport. The second-time American Olympian is highly favored to win a medal in Rio.

Alev Kelter will represent the Badgers on the U.S. women’s rugby team. A two-sport athlete who played hockey and soccer at UW, Kelter started playing rugby after narrowly missing a spot on the women’s hockey team that played in the 2014 Olympics. She adapted quickly to international competition in a new sport, and her skill and aggressive style of play will be welcomed in Rio.

In track and field, the Badgers have representatives from two countries: Canada and the United States. 2015 graduate and national record holder Mohammed Ahmed will represent Canada in the 5000-meter run. A member of the 2011 national champion cross-country team at UW, Ahmed is headed to his second Olympics.

Representing the U.S. are Evan Jager in the steeplechase, Kelsey Card in the shot put and Zach Ziemek in the decathlon. Card, a 2016 graduate, will be the first female UW athlete to compete in a field event at the Olympics. Ziemek, also a 2016 graduate, will be the first collegian to compete in the decathlon for the USA since 1992. Jager, who forwent three years of NCAA eligibility to turn pro in 2008, is the North American record holder in the steeplechase and will be competing in his second Olympics.

In rowing, Grace Latz will represent the U.S. and continue the tradition of Wisconsin having at least one rower on the Olympic team since 1968. Latz, a 2010 graduate, will race in the women’s quadruple sculls.

The Olympics, which will take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, will begin on Aug. 5 and will run through Aug. 21.

Editor's note (8/5, 8:47 p.m.): This story has been updated to reflect the injury of Egle Staisiunaite and subsequent withdrawal from the Olympic Games.