Engage actively with the UW-Madison community

The summer before freshman year is an exciting time. You’ve made it to UW-Madison. The idea of finally starting your college experience can be relieving yet stressful. We remember feeling so uncertain about the future when we moved in just two years ago. But uncertainty can be a positive opportunity for growth and openness in a new place.

Whether or not you know exactly what you would like to major in or what student organizations you want to join, take time to realize that so much of your life will change over the next few years. It’s OK to not know what the future will bring, since discovering your interests and passions is a process. The benefit of being at a university as large as UW-Madison is the number of academic and social options available to you. We found our community at the Cardinal; we’re confident you’ll find yours.

When you arrive on campus in the fall, you can pick up The Daily Cardinal on newsstands all over campus Mondays and Thursdays, from the dorms and academic buildings to Union South and Memorial Union. You can always find us on Twitter @dailycardinal, Facebook and Instagram, as well as our website, dailycardinal.com.

Sifting and winnowing for new perspectives has been essential to UW-Madison’s history, and equally important to The Daily Cardinal as it enters its 125th year of production. We are always finding innovative ways to capture the UW-Madison experience by covering issues and events on campus that are important to students, as well as issues at the city and state level.

We dive into Badger sports, Madison’s art scene, science and life and style, and we encourage thoughtful dialogue and debate on our opinion page. If you like satire more than reporting, our almanac page is a home for funny and creative writing, and where a co-founder of the Onion got his start. For the visually inclined, our multimedia, photo and graphics desks add a dynamic perspective to our written coverage.

We’ve been an independent news source since 1892 and are proud to be a student-run business. If you’re interested in economics, consider getting involved with our marketing, business or advertising side.

Switching to two days of print and maintaining a daily presence online is a part of how we have continued to evolve as a news source to better serve students. We are here as a resource for you, but need more than your passive engagement. Be an active participant in your education and campus community by questioning and interacting with news. If you have a reaction, please share it with us.

To first-time voters, in the fall you will be electing a president. But more than that, you will have the opportunity to affect local leaders and utilize your voice to shape your community. On campus, you will have a chance to improve the climate and make UW-Madison a more welcoming, inclusive setting for everyone. With a stronger understanding of the news and issues that are prevalent for students, we hope you can craft a college experience that is beneficial to you and to others.

We are so excited to welcome you to campus in a few months. Incoming students have a wide array of experiences and backgrounds that bring new perspectives and ideas with them. We look forward to engaging with you throughout your time at UW-Madison.

Have any questions? Email us at opinion@dailycardinal.com.