Wisconsin Dems vote to alter superdelegate system

Wisconsin Democrats voted to adopt resolutions calling for change to the party’s superdelegate system at the state convention Saturday.

One passed resolution requests that the Democratic party abolish superdelegates in the 2020 presidential nomination.

A separate motion addresses this year’s election, calling for Wisconsin superdelegates to vote for the party’s nominee proportional to primary results. Under the current system, superdelegates can can support any candidate regardless of primary outcomes.

Congressional candidate Joel Lewis spoke at the convention in favor of adopting reforms to the superdelegate system.

“It was designed because of low voter turnout in primaries, because lead labor leaders and environmental leaders and party leaders said the working class is being being horribly represented because they don’t vote in primaries,” Lewis said. “Something has changed now. People actually want to be involved in the primary system and the delegate system and this is great. But the old system is in the way of that,”

Although nonbinding, the resolution could have an effect if superdelegates adhere to the state party’s request.

Currently, out of Wisconsin’s 10 superdelegates, six have pledged to vote for Hillary Clinton, one has pledged for Bernie Sanders and three have not yet announced a decision.

Following the resolution, superdelegates would be bound to represent April’s primary results. With 57 percent of the vote, Sanders would receive six, leaving Clinton with four.

“This morning Wisconsin delegates sent a message that they will take superdelegates out of politics,” said Brendan Cohen, College Democrats communications director and UW-Madison senior. “I think if enough states pass similar resolutions it could pick up steam and really make an impact on the national level,”

Alaska, Colorado, Maine, Utah and Vermont have also passed resolutions to change the superdelegate system.

State resolutions will be reviewed by the national party at the Democratic convention in July.