Russ Feingold filing

U.S. Senate candidate Russ Feingold rallies supporters before formally submitting his nomination papers Wednesday in Madison.

Russ Feingold files nomination papers, talks superdelegate system at Madison rally

Former senator Russ Feingold, joined by Madison supporters, filed nomination papers Wednesday for the upcoming U.S. Senate race.

Feingold submitted the maximum allowed 4,000 signatures to the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board for nomination. His campaign collected over 9,000 signatures leading up to the candidacy filing deadline.

Feingold is challenging current Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., in a rematch of the 2010 race where Feingold lost his seat.

Before filing nomination papers, the Congressional hopeful spoke at a rally where he pushed for college loan refinancing legislation and announced position in favor of Democratic superdelegate system reform.

Feingold told supporters cost of higher education was the issue most often brought up to him by constituents on his recent campaign tour through all 72 Wisconsin counties.

He emphasized support of a bill authored by Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., to refinance student loans. The bill affords significantly lower interest rates through the Buffett Rule, a tax on millionaires.

“It’s getting harder for families to afford. The state keeps cutting their support for tuition and if you don’t pass Elizabeth Warren’s bill to have lower interest rates, it’s going to be even harder,” Feingold said.

In 2015, Feingold teamed up with Warren in a push for more affordable college through loan refinancing legislation and denouncement of budget cuts to public higher education institutions in Wisconsin.

“It’s just terrible to see the governor of Wisconsin cut $250 million out of the University of Wisconsin System,” he told reporters Wednesday.

“The University of Wisconsin is one of the leading recipients of federal research dollars. If we weaken this University as they are doing all across the state, it’s going to hurt our ability to be an economic engine.”

Feingold also revealed Wednesday his position on the Democratic superdelegate system. His endorsement of system reform comes just ahead of the state Democratic convention where party members will vote on resolution to eliminate it.

“I feel like it has to be reevaluated in a serious way. I think it causes some concerns,” he told reporters.

Johnson and Feingold will run as marquee contenders for the general election. Also running are Democrat Scott Harbach of Kenosha and Libertarian Phil Anderson of Fitchburg.

The U.S. Senate general election will take place Nov. 8.