Deceased UW-Madison students remembered at Carillon Tower

A memorial for UW-Madison students that passed away during this academic year was held at the Carillon Tower outside of the William H. Sewell Social Sciences building Friday.

Families and friends of the deceased gathered around the bell tower. Carillonneur Lyle Anderson performed short musical selections in honor of each student. Each piece was followed by a moment of silence. The memorial concluded with Anderson playing UW-Madison’s traditional song, “Varsity.”

The students remembered were Maria Luz, Ali Ajami, Erik Belanger, Brian Davidson, Isabel Neteh Sinome Denning, Alexander Fish, Samantha Gilbert, Nicholas Hawkins, Kenneth Luangpoomyut, Zachary Parkin and Craig Schuff.

The event occurs on the last day of classes every year. It is coordinated by the Division of Student Life and used as a conclusion to the school term.

“It's a way for us to come together and celebrate a life, not just mourn a loss,” said Associate Dean of Students Kevin Helmkamp, “and to do it not just individually, but as a community.”

The parents of the students, who appeared to be strangers before the event, embraced one another after one father mentioned his gratitude for not feeling alone on this day.

Families were offered a flower from a bouquet to commemorate the service and their loved one.

“We want to send a message that we aren't going to forget [the students],” Helmkamp said. “Once a Badger, always a Badger.”