Associated Students of Madison elects new leadership

The Associated Students of Madison Student Council began its 23rd session Sunday by electing Carmen Goséy as chair and Mariam Coker as vice chair, as well as selecting several new grassroots committee leaders.

Goséy, who previously served as the Legislative Affairs Committee chair, said she believes the chair’s role is to be a resource for students. She said she does not plan to explicitly dictate roles, but instead to empower other individuals and support their campaigns.

Coker formerly served as the Equity and Inclusion Committee chair, and she stressed relations she has made with students around the UW System and the nation, as well as representing the university on a panel concerning campus climate for a Board of Regents meeting.

She said the issues UW-Madison faces are not unique to this campus, and explained she plans to hold administration accountable for improving campus climate.

Madhuvanthi Sridhar, who ran for the ASM chair position and was defeated by Goséy, was ultimately voted as secretary for the upcoming year.

Outgoing Student Services Finance Committee Chair Thuy Pham said she was very happy about the diversity of the session’s council representatives, and said the organization is all about differences.

“It’s all about how you see differences, but then you embrace it and you make it into something magnificent,” Pham said. “That’s how we work at ASM and SSFC.”

The winners of the announced 23rd session ASM committee chairs are listed below. 

Nominations Board Chair: 

Vanessa Studer

Shared Governance Committee Chair:

Omer Arain

Shared Governance Campaign Director:

Mara Matovich

Equity and Inclusion Committee Chair:

Ali Khan

Legislative Affairs Committee Chair:

Sally Rohrer

Press Office Director:

Jason Klein

Outreach Director:

Matthew Wulf

Grant Allocation Committee Chair:

Ariela Rivkin

Student Activity Center Governing Board Chair:

Katrina Morrison

Sustainability Committee Chair

Jonny Vannucci

UPDATE May 5, 11:11 a.m.: This story has been updated to include the names of remaining committee chairs elected May 4.