State and local officials lead charge in fight against dementia

As more and more people nationwide are being diagnosed with dementia and Alzheimer’s, Wisconsin lawmakers, activists and researchers are working to ensure the state remains a leader in supporting families touched by the diseases.

An estimated 115,000 Wisconsinites suffer from some form of dementia, according to the state Department of Health Services, but that number is expected to more than double by 2040 as the state’s population grows.

Because of this, officials are trying to ensure government offices and local businesses are supporting those suffering from the disease.

The issue was one championed by members of both parties in the most recent Legislative session.

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, established a task force on Alzheimer’s and dementia, which traveled the state to hear from Wisconsinites affected by the issue.

State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein, D-Middleton, was one of the members on the committee. For her the issue is a personal one--her father died of Alzheimer’s in 2011.

“This is a way I can give back and honor my father,” Hesselbein said. “We traveled across the state to hear from everyone and the stories you hear over and over are so similar. It wasn’t that difficult to come up with legislation.”

Together the committee worked on over a dozen bills. They ranged in content from providing support and time off for caregivers to offering training for law enforcement on what to do when they encounter someone with dementia.

A bill Hesselbein authored would increase funding for the Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center at UW-Madison by $50,000, which could pave the way for National Institute of Health grant funding.

While the bill passed the Assembly unanimously, it failed to clear the state Senate.

Hesselbein has pledged to re-introduce it next session to help support researchers attempting to solve the puzzle of Alzheimer’s, which has no known cure.

“Wouldn’t it be great if we found a cure right here on campus?” she said

The effort is continuing at the local level as well. A group in Watertown is trying to make the city the first in the country to be labeled “dementia friendly.”

The group is trying to get local businesses to support and train employees to aid patrons who may suffer from memory-loss or forgetfulness, key symptoms of dementia.

Last month, Jefferson County went one step further by becoming the first county in the state to train its employees to best help residents who may have the disease.

“We all know a family that has been, is or will be touched by dementia,” said Jim Schroeder, chairman of the Jefferson County Board of Supervisors, according to the Daily Jefferson County Union. “So, by committing to providing our services here at the courthouse and other facilities in a dementia-friendly manner, and also by getting the word out in our communities, we’re really making a difference.”

As more and more families throughout the state face dementia, Hesselbein said the key for caregivers, including students, is to remain patient in helping their elderly family and friends.

“Be very patient to your loved ones and be patient with yourself. You can’t take care of anyone else if you can’t take care of yourself,” she said. “It's a long journey.”