Chelsea Handler makes many poignant points through comedy in a new Netflix original series. 

'Chelsea Does' proves to be beautiful project from unexpected source

The new Netflix original documentary series “Chelsea Does,” released Jan. 23, follows comedian Chelsea Handler as she analyzes the bizarreness of society. Its unique format consists of four episodes, each with a different social topic into which Chelsea fearlessly: marriage, Silicon Valley, race and drugs. It is impossible to fully capture the depth surrounding each of these issues—that would take hours and hours. However, Chelsea does succeed in stimulating discussion and providing thought-provoking overviews.

Each episode is unique, yet formulaic in its own right. Throughout the chapters, Chelsea hosts a dinner with different media voices about the given topic and discusses her own views with a therapist. She travels to destinations specific to the topic at hand, interviewing various people as well as reflecting on how this issue is personal to her.

I have never been a huge Chelsea fan. I only occasionally watched her former talk show “Chelsea Lately,” so I began this series knowing very little about her as a person. What I have come to learn is that the series thrives because of her honest and unabashed approach. She is not afraid to spit out what she thinks and how she feels without a filter. Chelsea leads with all the tough questions, resulting in candid and honest answers that are not only informative, but also entertaining and extremely funny. Chelsea is a wonderful guide, as she uses her unique comedy and perspective to break down societal walls and investigate their foundations. There is no beat-around-the-bush approach with her, creating a refreshing, candid and surprisingly thoughtful look at these four staples in society today.

The first episode, entitled “Chelsea Does Marriage,” is a light-hearted chapter about love, commitment and cultural standards. Chelsea’s attitude towards marriage is very cynical, yet refreshing and often relatable. The featured guests range from children and old couples to wedding planners to BDSM enthusiasts. She even embarks on speed dating and meets up with an ex-boyfriend.

The second episode, “Chelsea Does Silicon Valley,” explores the technology phenomenon and how it has shaped our culture for better and for worse. Chelsea expresses her frustrations with technology and the obstacles that influence her everyday life. For example, the episode invokes reflexivity, as she is touring Netflix headquarters and simultaneously discusses how she made a Netflix deal with the company without understanding what ‘streaming’ was.

“Chelsea Does Racism,” arguably the most thought-provoking episode, explores how racist our society is. It is interesting that many believe racism is mainly an issue of the past, though it is apparent that racism is still ever-present in our culture today. Chelsea travels to Alabama, the Mexican-American border, Israel, different ethnic burrows in Los Angeles and a Native American reservation. Each location offers varied perspectives and insights through the eyes of different minority groups and backgrounds. A Native American living on the reservation that Chelsea visits eloquently gives his thoughts on racism: “With America […] it’s about ‘me.’ Our philosophy was always about ‘us.’ How do we survive with each other?”

The last episode, “Chelsea Does Drugs,” uncovers the advantages, disadvantages and overall debate surrounding recreational drug use. This topic is the most personal to Chelsea because she often abuses alcohol and drugs in the public eye, often resulting in media scrutiny. She controversially experiments with different drugs on camera and, in contrast to her experience, interviews people who have struggled with addiction. Throughout the episode, she interacts with singer-songwriter legend Willie Nelson, Shaman from Malibu and various scientific researchers.

Throughout the adventures and expositions, the series shines as we watch Chelsea grow through self-discovery. There are moments that go from wry Chelsea humor to raw honesty and emotion. As we witness Chelsea—a media figure that is often scolded for being racy and shallow—become grounded through her experiences, the revelations become enhanced and are more poignant. “Chelsea Does” is the result of a comedian using humor to detonate social barriers and unite people despite differences in opinion and background.