Badgers blow no-hitter, lose series finale to Purdue

The Badgers were just one out away from a no-hitter and a series win over Purdue. However, they were unable to finish the job, letting a historic moment and a victory slip away.

Wisconsin was edged 3-2 by the Boilermakers Sunday afternoon at the Goodman Diamond.

Both teams struggled on offense, with the game’s first hit not coming until the bottom of the fourth inning. At the game’s conclusion, the Badgers and Boilermakers combined for just seven hits.

However, to bemoan both teams’ lack of offense without praising their respective pitchers would

be unfair. UW senior pitcher Taylor-Paige Stewart kept a no-hitter until the last inning, while Purdue senior Lilly Fecho allowed just one earned run the whole game.

Wisconsin coach Yvette Healy praised the opposing pitcher, and thought her players did a decent job against her.

“Fecho is one of the best pitchers in the conference, and I think it showed today,” Healy said. “She came out and she threw a great game. I was really pleased with our ability to put runs up and put another ball over the fence against her, she doesn’t give up a lot of home runs.”

The aforementioned home run against Fecho came courtesy of junior rightfielder Chloe Miller, who put the Badgers on the board with a fourth inning solo shot.

Wisconsin managed to double its lead an inning later when a Kelsey Jenkins single that brought pinch runner Gabby Scherle home. However, Wisconsin was unable to score again in the game, nor was it able to withstand the comeback that the Boilermakers put together in the dying embers of the game.

Needing only one out to win the game and leave Goodman Diamond with a no-hitter, Taylor-Paige Stewart conceded a single that allowed Purdue freshman Lauren Stewart to score. After a stolen base from the first-year player, redshirt senior Katie Harrison delivered a thundering two-run home run.

After giving up the lead and the momentum they held for much of the game, the Badgers were unable to respond in the bottom of the seventh inning, with the day ending in a heartbreaking 3-2 loss.

Chloe Miller talked about this rapid shift in momentum, and what the Badgers needed to do to get back into the game.

“It was two outs, top of the seventh and we still kinda had it, and then we all feel that shift,” Miller said. “And from there it’s about what you can do, little things like a base hit or walk, to try to get than pendulum back on your side.”

Despite her mistakes towards the end of the game, credit should be given to Stewart for the near-immaculate game she pitched. Healy stayed positive, deciding to keep the righty in the circle, and also praising her after the loss.

“It’s fun to see your seniors pitch well late into the season,” Healy said. “And I know she didn’t get the result she wanted, but that was one of the best games I’ve ever seen her throw.”

Stewart was not as upbeat as her coach after the game, but spoke about the process of mentally recovering from mishaps (she did finish the seventh inning), trumpeting the idea of continuity and belief in oneself.

“At a certain point you keep trusting your stuff,” the senior pitcher said. “If things have been working all game, you don’t stray from the certain pitches that have been working. And if you let up a hit or two, keep digging even when things don’t go your way.”

The Badgers will now have to put this tough loss behind them and begin preparations for their Tuesday doubleheader at Minnesota.