Trump, Clinton biggest winners on Super Tuesday

Business mogul Donald Trump and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton each won seven states Tuesday, as they continue to make their case to be their party's presidential nominee. Trump won the Republican primaries in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Massachusetts, Tennessee, Vermont and Virginia. Sen. Ted Cruz won his home state of Texas, as well as Oklahoma and Alaska. And Florida Senator Marco Rubio won his first state of the campaign, triumphing in Minnesota and finishing a close second to Trump in Virginia.

On the Democratic side, Clinton took home victories in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Massachusetts, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia, as well as American Samoa. Sen. Bernie Sanders decisively won his home state of Vermont, as well as Colorado, Minnesota and Oklahoma. 

Below is a chart showing how many delegates each candidate has won as of 11 a.m. Wednesday.

Republican Candidate    Delegates won on Super Tuesday     Delegates overall
Donald Trump 234 316
Ted Cruz 209 226
Marco Rubio 90 106
John Kasich 19 25
Ben Carson 3 8
Democratic Candidate    Delegates won on Super Tuesday     Delegates overall
Hillary Clinton 486 577
Bernie Sanders 321 386

Check out real-time updates of Super Tuesday below.

Update 10:26 p.m.: Minnesota's Democratic caucus has been called for Bernie Sanders, according to the Associated Press. The victory marks Sanders' fourth of the night, as he leads 58-47 with 43 percent of the votes in.

Update 10:17 p.m.: The Associated Press has called the Minnesota caucus for Florida Senator Marco Rubio. The Gopher State marks Rubio's first victory of the campaign and a chance to gain some momentum going forward in the race.

Update 10:10 p.m.: Multiple media outlets have now called the Massachusetts primary for Hillary Clinton. This marks a slight upset for Clinton and gives her seven states overall, compared with three for Sanders.

Update 9:58 p.m.: Bernie Sanders has won the Colorado Democratic caucus, according to NBC News. No other outlet has called the race but Sanders is leading Clinton by a healthy margin in and around Denver. He is winning overall 57-41 with 21 percent of precincts reporting. 

Fox News has projected that Clinton will counter and win Massachusetts but it is still the only outlet calling that race. Clinton's lead has narrowed to 50.6-48.2 with 79 percent of precincts reporting.

Update 9:22 p.m.: Donald Trump can claim victory in another state, as he is projected to win the Republican primary in Arkansas. The state would mark Trump's sixth of the night, compared with two for Ted Cruz. Trump is leading Cruz 34-27 with 21 percent of precincts reporting. 

Update 8:24 p.m.: Bernie Sanders will take Oklahoma, according to multiple media outlets. It would be his second victory of the night after his home state of Vermont. The race in Massachusetts, another important state for Sanders, is still too close to call.

Update 8:07 p.m.: Ted Cruz can count Oklahoma as his second victory of the night, according to the Associated Press. Despite pre-primary polls showing Donald Trump with a slight lead, Cruz used a strong showing in the panhandle and suburban Tulsa and Oklahoma City to claim victory.

Update 8 p.m.: Sen. Ted Cruz is projected to win his home state of Texas, according to multiple news outlets. Hillary Clinton is also projected to win the Lonestar State, her sixth victory of the night.

Clinton is addressing her supporters in Miami, claiming victory on Super Tuesday and criticizing rhetoric from Republican candidates, which she called overly negative.

"I believe what we need in America today is more love and kindness," Clinton said.

Update 7:43 p.m.: CNN, CBS and Fox Business Channel have all called the Virginia Republican primary for Donald Trump. Despite losing to Marco Rubio in most of the surburban Washington D.C. counties, Trump could use a surge in battleground Virginia Beach and the rural west to stave off the opposition and win his fifth state of the night. Rubio has outperformed most pre-primary polls, however—with 78 percent of the precincts reporting, he trails Trump 38-31.  

Update 7:31 p.m.: The Associated Press projects Hillary Clinton will take the Democratic primary in Arkansas. The Natural State gives Clinton five projected victories on the night, compared with one for Bernie Sanders. 

The Democratic races in Oklahoma and Massachusetts remain too close to call. Very early reports show Sanders leading Massachusetts 51-48 and Clinton pacing Oklahoma 50-44.

Update 7:05 p.m.: Multiple news outlets have called the Republican Alabama, Tennessee and Massachusetts primaries for Donald Trump. In addition, the Democratic primaries in Alabama, Tennessee and American Samoa have been called for Hillary Clinton. The Democratic races in Massachusetts and Oklahoma are too close to call at this time.

The race in the Virginia Republican primary remains tight, as Trump leads Marco Rubio 37-30 with 40 percent of precincts reporting. But fewer votes are in from suburban Washington D.C., which is a potential Rubio stronghold.

Update 6:15 p.m.: It appears the Republican races in Virginia and Vermont are too close to call at this time. 

Even for races which have already been called, the margin of victory matters to determine how many delegates each candidate takes. While results vary by state, in Vermont, for instance, Sanders will take home all of that state's delegates if Hillary Clinton fails to reach 15 percent of the vote. And in Alabama, if projected winner Donald Trump receives more than 50 percent of the vote, he will take home all 29 statewide delegates. 

Update 6:04 p.m.: Most major news outlets have called the Democratic primaries in Georgia and Virginia for Hillary Clinton within moments of the polls closing. NBC News has also called the Georgia Republican primary for Donald Trump. Finally, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders has been projected to win his home state.

Update 5:17 p.m.: Even though voters don't head to the polls in Wisconsin until April 5, tonight still has implications for voters in the Badger State. A strong night for candidates like Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders in Super Tuesday states like Minnesota and Colorado could bode well for his performance in Wisconsin, given demographic similarities. Conversely, if Sanders loses ground to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in those places, the stakes of the Wisconsin primary could lessen.