This year, the Wisconsin Union’s budget does not include an increase in student segregated fees, Director Mark Guthier explained during the organization’s budget presentation.

SSFC Spotlight: Wisconsin Union touts affordability, student involvement in budget presentation

As Memorial Union construction wraps up in the next few years, the Wisconsin Union seeks to keep its facilities affordable and exciting for students, according to Wisconsin Union Director Mark Guthier.

Often referred to as “the heart and soul” of UW-Madison, the Union has provided a space for students to socialize, relax, dine and learn outside the classroom since its formation in 1907, according to its website.

Guthier and other Wisconsin Union staff presented the organization’s budget at the Student Services Finance Committee meeting Feb. 22, highlighting zero increase in student segregated fees for the next fiscal year and several additions to Memorial Union after construction is finished.

Wisconsin Union Assistant Director Jane Oberdorf said the Memorial Union Terrace will reopen six weeks earlier than planned in time for graduation, an announcement met with cheers from committee members.

Oberdorf also detailed new initiatives for the building post-construction, including expanded terrace programming, a redesigned first floor with improved lake views and an increased number of gender-neutral bathrooms.

Jack Comeau, president of the student governing board Union Council, explained how student involvement and feedback impacts the Union.

Comeau said many students have the opportunity to serve in leadership roles through the Wisconsin Union Directorate, which plans and executes more than 1,000 free programs, including music and theater performances, lectures, art exhibitions and film showings.

Students also played a key role in the budget process, Guthier said, which is in part why this year’s budget includes wage increases for student employees, more funding for student-led programming and no increase in student segregated fees.

“We’ve certainly been hearing, over the past year or so, that student wages were something high on people’s minds, and also a sensitivity to fees not going up,” Guthier said. “We went into the budget planning process really wanting to respond to those.”

Guthier said he expects student traffic in Memorial Union will rise after the space reopens, in response to student involvement in design and planning.

“I’m most proud of the fact that this entire process has been led by a student majority voice—we’ve had a majority of students on our design committee working with architects, a majority of students on our governing board approving the designs as they move forward,” Guthier explained. “When Memorial Union is finally done and renovated, students will feel like it’s their place, because students actually designed it.”

SSFC members approved their portion of the Wisconsin Union's budget, totaling $10,568,587, at their Feb. 29 meeting.