Eight individuals were recognized by the Wisconsin Alumni Association with the Forward under 40 award for the outstanding accomplishments they have achieved before the age of 40.

Forward under 40 Award recognizes young alumni for achievements

The Wisconsin Alumni Association announced the recipients of the 2016 Forward under 40 Award Monday, according to a university press release.

The Forward under 40 Award is given to alumni who exemplify the Wisconsin Idea, the principle that UW should have a positive impact in Wisconsin and around the world. Eight individuals were recognized for the outstanding accomplishments they have achieved before the age of 40.

The recipients, including William Hsu, Leslie Anderson, AnneElise Goetz, Tom Rausch, Laura Klunder, Virgil Abloh, Aaron Lippman and Tonya Sloans, come from a variety of academic backgrounds. They are invited to interact with students and others on campus throughout the year.

2001 graduate Tonya Sloans was highlighted in the press release for becoming a counsel for the U.S. House of Representatives’ Committee on Ethics. She also founded PowerWoman Enterprise, an organization that aims to improve women's lives by helping them reach their full career potential.

“These eight remarkable Badgers have used their creativity and passion to help make the world a better place,” said WAA President Paula Bonner in the release. “They make the UW proud, and we look forward to seeing how they’ll continue to live the Wisconsin Idea in the future.”