Tammy Baldwin introduces bill to combat opioid addiction

Due to rising numbers of drug overdose deaths in Wisconsin, U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., introduced a new bill Wednesday to tackle the problem from prevention to recovery.

Her bill, introduced with U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, would create an “anti-narcotics effort” to address four key areas: prevention, crisis, treatment and recovery. The bill would attempt to improve access to opioid reversal drugs and provide school-based intervention programs, as well as greater substance abuse treatment.

“Opioid abuse is an epidemic in Wisconsin that continues to grow at an alarming rate,” Baldwin said in a press release. “As our communities struggle with this epidemic on a daily basis, Congress must act to address this multifaceted problem. I am proud to introduce this legislation that provides a comprehensive approach to address the entire spectrum of addiction.”

Earlier this month, Baldwin expressed her support for a bill that would provide over $600 million in emergency funding for heroin and opioid abuse crises.

According to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, state drug overdose deaths doubled from 2004 to 2013, and opioids have been a greater cause of death than more common ones such as motor vehicle crashes. In addition, a 2015 report from the State Council on Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse noted that 4.5 percent of Wisconsin adults had abused opioids in the past year.

Medical and health professionals have openly expressed support and optimism for the bill.