Due to budget cuts, Revelry will move to the Orpheum Theater this year.

Revelry Music Festival to move indoors, decrease number of artists due to budget cuts

UW-Madison’s Revelry Music Festival will undergo major changes this year, including a decrease in its number of artists and a change of venue, according to a Wisconsin Union press release.

Cuts to its budget will force Revelry to move indoors to the Orpheum Theatre on State Street and decrease its number of musical acts from 27 in 2015 to between three and six this year.

The festival’s 2016 budget was decreased by almost $150,000 as a part of larger cuts to the UW System in the most recent state budget, the press release said.

The move indoors will protect against rain, but the festival’s capacity will be reduced. Approximately 7,000 people attended last year, but the Orpheum holds just 2,000.

In addition, the 2016 festival will be a ticketed event. Festival organizers have not yet determined pricing and release dates.

Revelry Executive Director Ayla Kress said the festival is working to mitigate the effects of the budget cuts by forming corporate partnerships. She also expressed confidence that Revelry will retain its integrity despite the major changes.

The festival will take place Saturday, April 30 and is tentatively scheduled to start at 5 p.m.