State Sen. Nikiya Harris Dodd, D-Milwaukee, announced Thursday that she will not seek re-election in the fall.

Milwaukee senator announces she won’t seek re-election

State Sen. Nikiya Harris Dodd, D-Milwaukee, announced Thursday that she will not seek re-election in 2016.

Harris Dodd was first elected to the 6th Senate District in 2013. In her announcement, she called public service “a calling” that she has been “honored” to carry out.

“I have never shied away from making difficult decisions or taking on tough challenges,” Harris Dodd stated in a press release. Harris Dodd, the new mother of a 16-month-old son, said she made the difficult decision not to run for re-election “to take on a greater mission.”

Senate Minority Leader Jennifer Shilling, D-La Crosse, released a statement commending Dodd’s leadership and her commitment to her family.

Shilling highlighted Harris Dodd’s accomplishments of being a steadfast champion of women, strengthening local schools, improving public safety and expanding economic opportunities.

"I am honored to have earned the trust and respect of my constituents to serve as their voice in the fight for justice, fairness, and equity for the people in our great state,” Harris Dodd said in the release.

In her closing announcement, Harris Dodd reflected on her determination to improve conditions for Milwaukee citizens and said her time in office positively impacted the lives of others.

Among the potential candidates to replace Harris Dodd could include state Reps. Evan Goyke, Leon Young, Mandela Barnes and La Tonya Johnson.