Assembly Session, Right to work, Budget 2015

Madison representative introduces update to officer-involved shooting law

State Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, released two bills Wednesday that update a Wisconsin law regarding officer-involved deaths.

Wisconsin Act 348, passed in 2013, states that an officer-involved death “means a death of an individual that results directly from an action or an omission of a law enforcement officer” and must be investigated by the state Department of Justice.

The two bills will update Act 348 by creating a more “transparent process in all aspects of officer involved deaths,” Taylor said in a press release.

“This common-sense clarification that investigators need to be removed in time from investigating their former co-workers will enhance accountability and the public’s trust in the process,” Taylor said in the release.

The first bill requires the outside investigators who examine officer-involved deaths to not have “immediate past employment history with the law enforcement agency employing the officer being investigated,” according to the statement.

The second bill requires a special prosecutor be selected for the case. The prosecutor will be selected by the chief judge of the district.

A public hearing has not yet been scheduled on the two bills.