Ald. Chris Schmidt had held the position since 2009, before resigning in January.

Madison Common Council announces vacant position

In light of District 11 Ald. Chris Schmidt’s resignation from his position on the Madison Common Council, the council announced it is accepting resumes from interested residents in the 11th Aldermanic District to fill the vacant position for an interim basis.

Schmidt was elected to the council in 2009 and has served for nearly seven years. Although he filed for re-election last fall, his professional situation has since changed, restricting him from serving further time on the council.

“Serving the City as Alder, itself a full-time job, has been very important to me,” stated Schmidt in a press release, “but being Alder is not my livelihood, and my livelihood must come first.”

The Common Council Organizational Committee will be accepting applications until Feb. 17, at which time it will review applications and make recommendations to the council.

According to Common Council President Denise DeMarb, the appointed alder will serve until official elections are held in the spring of 2017.