Ashley Van Zeeland

Ashley Van Zeeland went 3-for-4 with a run scored against UNLV. 

Kansas, UNLV prove to be too much on first day of USF tournament

Badgers drop first two games in Tampa, Fla.

Wisconsin (5-6) dropped its first two games of the USF Under Armour Showcase to Kansas (5-6 overall) 2-1, and to UNLV (8-4) 14-3 Friday in Tampa, Fla.

The Badgers continued their early season trend of scoring first, jumping out to a 1-0 lead in the first inning after an RBI double from freshman catcher Melanie Cross scored senior infielder Ashley Van Zeeland.

Kansas tied the game in the bottom of the fourth inning on a solo home run.

UW missed two opportunities in the late innings. A one-out triple in the sixth by junior infielder Chloe Miller had the Badgers in position to retake the lead, but a flyout and a groundout ended the scoring threat.

In the seventh inning, a single from Kelly Welsh, followed by a sacrifice bunt from sophomore Samantha Arents put a runner in scoring position. However, the Badgers were again unable to score, and it proved to be costly.

Kansas lead off the bottom of the seventh with a walk-off home run, giving it the 2-1 victory.

Senior pitcher Taylor-Paige Stewart had another solid performance in the loss, allowing two runs on three hits while striking out six in six innings.

In game two, UNLV jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead on a first-inning home run. UW responded with another first-inning rally of its own, with singles from Jenkins and Van Zeeland, but were unable to get another key hit.

UNLV pushed its lead to 5-0 after a three-run home run in the third inning. Wisconsin tried to keep up, scoring its first run on an RBI bunt single from Miller, scoring Van Zeeland.

The Rebels added another run in the fourth inning and then exploded for eight runs in the sixth inning.

The Badgers ended the game scoring two more runs, thanks to an RBI triple from senior Macy Oswald, scoring freshman Gabby Scherle. Jenkins then knocked in Oswald on an RBI single to left.

Wisconsin pitchers struggled to shut down the Rebels’ offense. Junior Kirsten Stevens had a rough day on the mound, allowing five runs on four hits, while only lasting two and two-thirds innings. Sophomore Mariah Watts allowed four runs on five hits, in two and two-thirds innings in relief of Stewart. Freshman Angela Morrow made her third appearance of the season allowing five runs in two-thirds of an inning.

Wisconsin continues play Saturday in the USF Under Armour Showcase against the University of South Florida at 10:30 a.m.