Cross announces plans for improving diversity measures

At the Board of Regents meeting Feb. 5, UW System President Ray Cross addressed a prior meeting with representatives from the United Council to discuss diversity on UW campuses.

President Cross told the regents there is more the UW System can do to improve experiences and graduation rates for students of color, and read a statement requested by the student representatives.

In his statement, Cross acknowledged the lack of platforms for students of color to share experiences and announced that chancellors have been encouraged to increase these conversations.

Additionally, he announced plans to implement a UW System diversity council including student voices that he said would “help hold us more accountable,” and a new position called the Special Assistant for Diversity and Inclusion. This role would be responsible for internal activities of the UW System Administration working to improve achievement gaps, Cross explained in the statement.

Cross said in the statement the UW System is prepared to move forward in partnership to ultimately “improve the human condition throughout the state.”