The Retail Improvement Grant Program aims to help local businesses renovate their interior and exterior spaces.

City announces new grant program for downtown business investment

Madison officials announced Thursday the city is offering local businesses a unique opportunity to reinvest in themselves.

Madison has a reputation for its flavorful retailers and would like to continue this legacy by matching grants of up to $50,000, according to a press release from the city.

The grants will come through the Retail Improvement Grant Program, which aims to help local, independent businesses renovate their interior and exterior spaces. The program is similar to the Façade Grant Program, which program city officials considered a success.

“I am very excited with the launch of this new initiative,” District 4 Ald. Mike Verveer said. “I am confident that the retail grant program will be as effective and successful as our longstanding Façade Improvement Grant Program.”

Property owners and building tenants operating independent retail businesses with leases of more than five years and located within the target area are eligible for the grant. However, priority will given to towards the State Street area.

“The program is intended to assist projects that promote independent retail activities, create an attractive environment and encourage neighborhood character,” according to the city’s website.

Businesses hopeful to apply for the grant can reach out to Business Development Specialist Ruth Rohlich.